American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, August 19, 2011

Spyderco Military

The last knife I wrote about on here was the new Paramilitary 2 from Spyderco so I thought it fitting to bring up one of my all-time favorite folding knives this morning--the Military (also from Spyderco.)

I held one at a store probably 10 years ago and thought it too big to be of any real value. The blade was etched with logos and writing and made it look a little silly too. So, I passed.

Fast forward many moons and Spyderco releases a Sprint Run (usually 600 pieces) with blaze orange G10 handles and I decided to order one.

As soon as I got it, I dropped it in my pocket and decided to see what all the fuss was about as it has gotten high praise online since its introduction.

It was easily pocketed and carried but it was MASSIVE when opened (bigger than my Fallkniven F1) and is illegal to carry everywhere here in Illinois. How could this be a good thing and how could people love it so much?

Well, then I started to use it.

The long blade is thick enough to be robust and thin enough to slice like a kitchen knife. The S30V blade takes a wicked edge on my DMT stones and keeps it for a long, long time with little more than a stropping every now and then. It deploys super fast should I ever need it in a hurry and the lockup is nice and strong.

The big problem for me with it? I'm left-handed and the orange Military is a liner lock set up for righties.

But then they released a left-handed version and I jumped on it. It's in my pocket as I type this. :)

Then there was the Titanium/G10 version that came out with the M4 steel blade. I had to get it.

And the all Titanium model with the S30V blade. Well, I couldn't let that one go.

And then the brown G10 Sprint Run with the CTS-XHP blade...

You can see where this is going right?

So, a knife I once thought too big and impractical after putting it in my hand has become one of my favorite folding knives of all time and you can often find one in my pocket (except in certain locales or situations) and I've begun to amass a collection of them...

I use my Military in the kitchen all the time and have been thinking about getting one of the fancy fluted-Titanium versions to take with me when I travel to use as a folding kitchen knife.

There's just something about having a knife this big that can fold up in your pocket and can take an edge that swipes the hairs off your arm with little more than a thought...

Thanks for reading,


B

1 Comments:

At 11:11 PM, Blogger Rothco Military said...

HI...It feels so nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. Really thankful to you for starting this. I really like your blog.

regards,
Rothco

 

Post a Comment

<< Home