American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Can You Bleach a Norton Waterstone?

I'll let you know soon. :)

I have a 4000-grit Norton Waterstone that was once put away wet and the packing material in the case mildewed. Now the stone smells like mildew every time I use it.

I've had enough and, this morning, added a splash of bleach to the water it's soaking in.

Will it cause the stone to fall apart?

Will it remove the mildew smell?

Will it be replaced with a worse smell?

I have NO idea. It's bad enough to risk a $40 stone though...

Thanks for reading,



At 10:32 PM, Blogger brionic said...

You might try baking soda if the bleach doesn't work.

At 8:43 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

I let the stone sit in the bleach solution for maybe 30 minutes and then rinsed it off and put it back in plain tap water.

The smell appeared to be gone and the stone was just fine.

Later, while flattening the stone, I noticed the same mildew-y smell coming from the stone again.

I'm going to try this one more time but I think I'll let the stone dry out and then add it to the bleach water solution in order to let it soak up more of the bleach.

As it was already soaked, the bleach must have taken care of the surface and not been able to get into the stone.



Post a Comment

<< Home