American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, August 01, 2011

Gettin' Serious

I've always had a problem with judging distances and that's never been a bigger problem than right now while I'm trying to sight in my bow and adjust the pins on the front sight.

So, today I did something about it. I picked up the 10,000' Rolatape RT312.

Now we can measure distances up to 10,000' at 1" increments accurately and quickly and, combined with the marking paint I picked up, I can measure off the back yard like a football field with lines at 5 or 10 yard increments so I can quickly and accurately move my target to varying distances to practice my shooting.

Seeing the distances makes it easier to judge them going forward because you've got a frame of reference and, right now, I don't have one.

While Sarah is having her nap, the other kids and I are going to go out and start walking off the yard to see where we can set the target at 10-yards, 20-, and 30-yards.

Greater accuracy here we come! :)

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Blogger Vinosaur said...

two words

Laser Rangefinder

plus, having one in the woods will help with figuring distance to the deer / turkey.

I highly recommend the Nikon. I love mine.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

I'll definitely look into it.

I've always wondered if those things worked. They make them for golfers, hunters, and shooters so I'd suspect they worked but had no real experience with them.

Plus, and I'm going to look mighty silly for writing it, I'm wary of growing reliant on electronics for that sort of thing when batteries can die, the screen can go dark, or any number of problems related to the cold and wet.

Now, it's silly because my bow has more "toys" on it than a traditionalist would ever consider and it was so against what I was intending to do that it's pretty funny I went the direction I did.

I'll look into the range finders but I'd really like to get some hands on experience with one.

Thanks,

B

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Vinosaur said...

I'll get you my rangefinder to use. Mostly I was thinking it would be difficult to climb down from a good shooting spot, roll that thing up to the deer, climb back and hope he held still.

The rangefinder is a tool like anything else. Use it to aid in getting the job done. You can find your spot. Range to different shooting spots and mark them with ribbon or something else so you know at a glance.

Mine is a Nikon. Waterproof, uses AA batteries. Pretty reliable, but everything can and will fail when you don't want it to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home