American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

REALLY American

Wow, Laura and I are working on a project for school where she's playing the part of an immigrant coming through Ellis Island.

My family has been especially into genealogy for years on both sides with my grandmother on one side and my uncle on the other holding "the books" of information that has been collected. I've contacted them both to see what kind of stories are in our past and have been shocked at what they told me.

My family has a direct tie to ancestors who left Ireland in 1705 at the ripe old age of 15 and started a grist mill in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

That's right, we've been here for 305 years. We were here before there was a Declaration of Independence or a United States and way before there was an Ellis Island.

I guess it's no wonder I have no sense of nationality other than American. No hyphenated kind of American either. Just American through and through.

I'm glad Laura started on this project and really, really glad that there are people in the family who have connected the dots so far back.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 4:15 AM, Blogger Anders said...

Hi Brian,
My suspision is that a little swede is lurking around inside of you...
Just think about it;
-The modern firesteel is a swedish invention.
-I have seen you use the Swedish Army Trangia many times.
-You use more swedish knifes and axes then even me, Moras, Fällkniven and Gränsfors.

Just think about it ;-)

Regards
Anders

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

LOL! You must be right.

Plus, I like the winter and snow and would prefer to spend my days outside working like the Sami.

I like meatballs too...

:D

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home