American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Wanted--Basha/Hootch

I am having a devil of a time finding a British Army Basha or Aussie Hootch for late-season camping.

These are heavyweight versions of a tarp usually made of poly instead of nylon, weighing a bit more, and feeling much more robust.

The one source I knew of here in the US was Brigade Quartermasters but they seem to no longer carry the Basha and getting an Aussie Hootch off of eBay is going to cost me as much in shipping as it will to just buy the hootch.

Does anybody have a line on one? An alternative you'd recommend for possible snow tarping? (That's why I like these more as they'll withstand the weight of some overnight snow if necessary.)

Thanks,

B

5 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same problem earlier this season...I ended up ordering a Hennesey Hex Rain Fly, which is intended for hammock camping but provided in size and price what it was missing in durability. The only thing it's missing is a center loop to suspend it from a tree limb, but that could be added.

For colder weather, I'm using Dave Canterbury's Versa Shelter setup, with an 8x10 poly tarp from Walmart (about 8 bucks)...it's super-durable with reinforced grommets and has a reflective surface on the inside.

Now that I think of it, he was advertising an ultralight version of the versa shelter that was still heavier than most sil-nylon or rip-stop nylon tarps. You might check his store out (www.wildernessoutfittersarchery.com).

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure there is a reliable source in the colonies any longer. I've seen a couple of questionable USA websites selling them - and plenty of good co.uk's.

It could be most North Americans know little about them, so they do not sell.

I will keep an eye out and let you know if I run into some.

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/640g-WEB-TEX-OLIVE-GREEN-BASHA-TARP-HOOTCHIE-BIVI_W0QQitemZ140265455887QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140265455887&_trkparms=72%3A12|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

might work as long as the exchange rate isn't too bad

or maybe this
http://www.campingtarp.com/

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Thanks for the comments guys. Keep 'em coming.

I've seen the Aussie Hootch on eBay (there was also a camo one for a bit more money) but I don't know the seller and will need to send an email to inquire about shipping rates before I go and buy one direct from Australia.

I'll check out the other links.

Thanks again,

B

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

I rock the blue tarp or US Army poncho unless it is real nasty then I use a tent. I try to avoid camping when it is real nasty because its just not fun. Have done it and can do it again but choose not to unless work requires it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home