American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Matt Caldwell Knives

Pup at Vintage Knives contacted me the other day to let me know that he was getting in some prototypes from Matt Caldwell of Caldwell Knives and I asked him for more information on them.

It turns out Matt has sent him 1-7s and 1-9s (7" and 9" blades respectively) with sheaths by Rob Humelbaugh of Survival Sheath Systems--a very good thing in my opinion.

The knives are made of 154CM and Matt is offering them in various colors of micarta. You can see all of the new knives here while they last.

I hadn't heard of Matt Caldwell until I saw his knives (1-4 and 1-6) on Pup's website and hesitated long enough that they were all sold by the time I got around to trying to pull the trigger.

Fit and finish looks great. They're some robust stock (.235" thick) and the 1-9 at the same thickness ought to be a beat of a chopper.

Matt says, "Production will be limited to 120 Model 1-7's and 60 Model 1-9's. Chances are I'll never build knives of this size ever again." So if you're inclined to buy a knife of this size and/or style I'd encourage you to take a look at these. I missed my shot at the 1-4s and 1-6s.

Pup convinced Bob Dozier to make my modded Pro Guide Knife several years ago, he steered me toward the Delta Traveller, hooked me on the Vintage Knives Moose, and has been my go-to guy on Carbon Steel slipjoints for years. When he gets excited about a knife model or knifemaker I tend to listen closely. He hasn't steered me wrong yet. :)

Just some of my history with Pup--includes pictures of the knives mentioned above.

Thanks for reading,


B

1 Comments:

At 11:53 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

That looks like a nice knife. I tend to not spend a bunch on knives because I do not want to cry if a knife gets lost or damaged. I am a big boy and haven't lost a knife in years but having a wonderfully perfect knife I keep in the gun safe and never use doesn't make sense to me. I would rather have a Ka Bar or a Buck 119 special and use it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home