American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, September 19, 2008

The Venerable F1

I've got it bad. I've mentioned it before. I flat out like the Fallkniven F1.

While investigating a new burrowing guest I decided to grab the camera and snap a few pictures of my ever-growing F1 collection with the more refined cousin the NL5 (also from Fallkniven.)

You can see my hard user second from left, my two customs from JRE Industries, and a brand new production model.

There's nothing I've asked of this knife that it couldn't perform. It's a great size and weight. The sheaths I use range from the factory plastic to custom leather from JRE and custom Concealex from Rob Humelbaugh at Survival Sheath Systems.

Combining the factory blade blank from Fallkniven with custom handle/liner combinations and custom sheathing options offers the best from both worlds in a fully customized knife with easily-replicated geometry, heat treat, and quality. In other words, I can have a one of a kind knife today that I can have made again sometime down the road if I choose.

I'm breaking in the green canvas micarta F1 with red liners but the production model with kydex from MBHanzo (on eBay) is the one that gets the call most often and it shows. I'm curious to see just what this knife will look like a year from now when compared to the unused factory version. Will I sharpen away enough steel to notice? Will the handle start to wear away from repeated insertion and extraction from the sheath?

Only time will tell but I suspect this knife will keep on ticking no matter what I throw at it...

Thanks for reading,


B

5 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are excellent - in my opinion some of the best out there yet often overlooked in favor of over hyped blades and those used by TV characters. Can't go wrong with the the f1's

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger backcountrybowhunter said...

Along very similar lines, I'd recommend the flat grind Enzo trapper. Similar shape and size, they are TERRIFIC knives if you can find one here in the USA.

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Johan J said...

Hi!

Thanks for having a really cool blog! :)

I have a knife question for you! I´m about to purchase a new knife! There are two Im choosing between. Its the Fallkninven F1 and NL5, the things I dont know about them are the height of the blades( distance between the edge and back)
They are some what similar in blade profiles otherwise. Im also thinking to get the F1 in micarta handles from JRE Industries if I would choose the F1. The thing is that I dont know if the micarta is slick or not? I have had the Oden from Fallkniven and I know that the handle on that was very slick, perhaps it gets better with some use?

Thanks!

Regards/Johan

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Thanks for the kind words Johan.

I have both the F1 and NL5 and find myself using the F1 all the time and the NL5 very little. It's a refined knife with smoother edges and a different feel in the hand.

You can get the micarta smooth or rough from JRE. If there's one you love but the handles are too smooth you can always rough it up yourself.

I've used 320-grit paper in the past under running water. Lightly go over the handles and you'll end up with a grippier material that still retains all the desirable characteristics of micarta or G10. Just don't breathe in the dust if you can avoid it.

B

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Johan said...

Hi!

Thanks so much! I have been leaning over to the F1 more and more! feels more like a knife I dare to really use! The micarta handles and sheaths from JRE are absolutely great stuff!
I think I´m going to put in an order! :)

Great tip about the micarta handle! Haven´t owned a knife with a micarta handle before and didn´t know whether i could ruff it up or not without ruin the handle..

Thanks again! And keep up the great job on your blog! Really love the reading!

Regards/Johan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home