American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, September 05, 2008

Use Those Kits

Many of us build one Personal Survival Kit (PSK) after another each time trying to cram more essentials into less space and/or with less weight.

It is important to take those kits out and use the components you've packed to make sure that they work as advertised and make you comfortable knowing that they've going to work to make the difference between surviving or not.

I am in the process, once again, of loading and reloading my PSK and this came to mind. I've reduced the size of the firesteel, increased the size of the signal mirror, and changed out the Victorinox Huntsman for the new Red Alox Lumberjack. Most of the remaining kit will stay the same (for now.)

I need to get out there to see if these new components are as effective as the old ones before I actually need to use them and it gives me a perfectly good excuse to run into the woods for a bit.

I've also changed the container from time to time and had never considered testing them until Pablo tested the NRA Survival Kit and had the case fail. Now I do a similar test with my containers. After all, if it doesn't hold together after impact it's far better to learn that before you need it.

I have one PSK in my three-day pack with components I've tested over and over and it only comes out once a year to replace meds and other perishable items. The rest of the kits are always in-process so I can continue with my new gear obsession. :)

Thanks for reading,


B

1 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great advice to go out there and try the contents of your kit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home