American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

GSI Ketalist Cookset

Have any of you seen THIS yet? It's the GSI Ketalist Cookset from REI.

Finally, someone has seen the light. I love my GSI kettle but it doesn't nest my other gear. This kettle holds a double layer cup/bowl and can, therefore, hold my trangia burner too.

I like the kettles for their ability to bring water to temperature quickly while keeping out most of the cooties (i.e. mud, ash, sticks, and twigs) that might fall into an otherwise uncovered cook pot. They're not great to cook in because cleaning them is a nightmare usually but I'm much more likely to brew up a cup of coffee or tea than I am to put together a full blown meal on a day hike.

For $30 I'm going to see if I can get my hands on one and give it a try. I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger Perkunas said...

That looks interestin´piece of kit,man.

i gotta check out if anyone at evilbay sells those overseas at reasonable shipping costs,for sure.

Do you happen to know is it good to be put upon open fire,or is it just for gas cookers and similar ?

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Perkunas,

I don't know that yet. I have a GSI Halulite Kettle (the Hae Tea) and have used it on the fire a few times.

The welds held up just fine but I melted the plastic coating on the handle.

I suspect this will be the same.

My plan is to use it with the Trangia burner until I run out of fuel and then switch to twig fires or the wood gassification stove I just finished building (once I can get it to WORK!)

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home