American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, October 06, 2008

Cooking in Cans

Sometimes it's nice to bring along non-dried foods to enjoy on the trail and I am a big fan of canned goods for at least some of my meals/sides if I'm out for a few days or longer and they're even convenient for a day hike.

I like to cook right in the can for most things and try to bring along cans that'll fit inside my billy can so I can simply vent the can, immerse it in the water, and bring the water to a boil. The water then boils until the food in the can is up to temperature and I have, on occasion, then used the boiled water for tea or coffee as it's been purified while bringing my food up to temperature and to waste it seems less than frugal.

I'm doing some lunch today using this method and, with a little hot sauce, should make quite a tasty bit of eating.

I have been carrying a tea kettle lately so I can just pour the hot water through the strainer and steep while I dig in.

I save the cans once I'm done as they can be used for many projects back at home or even out in the woods. The lids can make useable blades for soft-material cutting and, with my Swisstool, the can can be re-tasked as anything I can imagine. :)

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always like cooking in cans too. Something about doing this, like a hobo living in freedom to prepare food with so simple a device as an old can over a outdoor fire.

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mate's got a good trick. He makes a dent in the unopened tin. After heating it in the water for a while the dent pops out and the contents of the tin always seem to just right.

 
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting trick, Pablo. Also heating in water which serves to keep the can from overheating and exploding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home