American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, September 25, 2008

I Saw Them!

I saw the monster last night and his "apprentice" as they ate acorns in my front yard.

From the road I saw the big buck had at least 10 points on an impressive rack and the smaller buck had a nice 6-point rack but he was clearly younger and smaller than the "boss."

There is also a nice rub on one of the trees next door which, I suspect, was left there by one of the two larger bucks I saw last night.

I think this weekend might be a good time to get out with the tracking stick and the camera to see if I can't find where "the herd" is holed up prior to the rut. They're often habituated and allow me to get fairly close before running and I got close enough for pictures last night but it was too dark and all I have are glowing eye shots.

Exciting times around here (for me anyway...)

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Blogger scoutinlife said...

Nothing like fall! The deer are active in my neck of the woods as well...... They like what left in my garden. They put a hurtin on it this year raiding the plot to much....

 
At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont spook him boy!
Next Wednesday you can legally "Stick" him and take him home!

WOOT!

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

They were back tonight. There are three of them--all bucks.

The smallest one must be a yearling and the big one has 11 points (6 on one side/5 on the other) and a big thick neck.

They're eating the acorns and getting fat.

They don't seem to scare easily as I spoke to them at length tonight and they didn't scatter until the dog next door came out for a pee.

Good times...

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home