American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Van Kit


I've talked from time to time about the gear I carry in the van on a regular basis and thought I'd put together a quick picture of the "van survival kit" and a few other items that I always have on board.

I'm using a watertight box from Bass Pro Shops for the container and have enough first aid and survival items in there to make a forced stay somewhere a little more comfortable. Inside the box I have the following:




























1.
Fire
Matches, firesteel, WetFire Tinder, Windmill Butane Lighter, and a file striker in case I find some flint
2.
Signaling
Fox Micro Whistle and StarFlash Signal Mirror
3.
Food and Water
Coffee candies and MicroPur MP-1 Tablets (30) plus a 1L Nalgene (BPA Free) bottle, 1 Quart zip top bag, and 10cm Billy Can
4.
Repair and Tools
Multi-Tool (this one's an old Leatherman Wave,) Victorinox Outrider, zip ties, duct tape, Fallkniven DC4 sharpener, and a mini pry bar PLUS the Fallkniven F1
5.
First Aid
Band-Aids, Neosporin, hand sanitizer, Aspirin, Immodium, Benedryl, and Tylenol



Shelter would be the van and I've got my bedroll and axe in there should I need to abandon the van for some reason and build a shelter.

I also always carry a battery jumper which can recharge batteries in electronic devices as well as jump dead automotive batteries. It's got a USB port to charge your phone, iPod, etc.

I am frequently criticized for carrying so much "junk" in my car and I have actually removed a 4.5 gallon water jug to slim down the amount of gear I'm toting around every day. If I throw my day pack in the back though I'm ready to hike anywhere and any time and adventure sometimes comes from simply seizing the opportunity presented.

Thanks for reading,


B

1 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool looking kit brian... i like it.. very simple...
i need to re-do my car kit actually...

mtnfolk mike t

 

Post a Comment

<< Home