American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, September 04, 2006

PSK Part III

I've been a bit errant today on posting. I've got quite a knife blowout going over on Knifeforums and it's taken quite a bit of my time answering emails and PTs.

Anyway, on to the subject at hand--PSKs.

Let's talk about some of the other contents of the PSK including, but not limited to, signalling, water, and fire. Others throw fishing kits or other food-acquisition devices into their kits but I feel they are unnecessary.

For hiking anywhere but the remotest regions these days a 72-hour to 1-week kit should be more than adequate and knowing the human body can go up to 3 weeks without food (mine slightly longer due to excess...fuel) adding the weight of a fishing kit and/or snares and losing the limited space available does not, in my opinion, equal an advantage.

Of course, the cordage and safety pins I include in my kit could be used as a fishing kit should the need arise.

My kit will contain elements to purify water, start fires, and signal for rescue. After those essential needs are met I can erect a shelter and huddle inside to stave off hypothermia if necessary. A simple debris hut can be made without a cutting tool so if I've become lost with my PSK and without my knife (hardly a possibility) I am confident that I can still make myself a place to keep warm and dry.

Tomorrow, more on FIRE! Heh heh heh...

Thanks for reading,

B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home