American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Firesteel math


A Swedish Army firesteel (the larger model on the Left) generates sparks at 3,000° Celsius and lasts approximately 12,000 strikes.

Using charcloth with the firesteel greatly improves my chances of starting a fire within the first two or three strikes.

Assuming it takes me three strikes to get a fire going that means I'll get approximately 4,000 fires from one firesteel.

If I lived outdoors and started a fire every day using the firesteel it would last me 10.9589 years. Yeah, almost 11 YEARS!

Of course I neither live outdoors nor do I use the firesteel to start every fire. That means I'll get more than 11 years out of the firesteel unless it corrodes to dust through neglect. <--this is the biggest shortcoming of the firesteel. Fortunately a coat of fingernail polish takes care of the best part of the corrosion problem.

A few years back I was buying these two at a time from a friend that was selling them to support the Boy Scouts in the Netherlands. I think I have six left.

I don't think I'm going to live long enough to use them all...

Thanks for reading,

B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home