American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Flintknapping

A week or so back I purchased some videos by John McPherson on flintknapping called "Breakin' Rock 1" and "Breakin' Rock 2, Let's Make an Arrowhead" and they arrived in today's mail. I have now watched the first one and am floored by this guy's ability.

At one point in the video he draws some lines on a spall (a section of a larger rock) and then hits it with a hammer stone driving off a flake RIGHT ON THE LINES. Whoah.

Midway through the video I had to run outside and attempt to find myself a hammer stone and a piece of flint (or other hard rock) to have a go at what I thought I'd learned. Let's just say it wasn't quite like the flint and steel lessons of a few weeks ago. I got the rock to flake but it wasn't quite as controlled as I would have liked.

McPherson has a website here. He and his wife Geri have also written a couple of books on the subject of primitive survival.

After nearly two hours of instruction (and with another 100 minutes in Volume 2) I am ready to head for a quarry. I might not do much but make a mess for a while but I sure will have some fun doing it.

All this because I wanted to learn how to "sharpen" the edge of my flint for firestarting.

Thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home