American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Fatwood


Worked today with some fatwood (resin-rich pine) and had forgotten just how effective and long-burning it was. Home Depot sells it in 4 pound bags for a couple of bucks and has been known to blow it out come Spring for as little as $1 a bag. I, of course, pick up two or three bags then because I might use eight or ten sticks over the course of a winter.

I like to shave down the sticks to create lots of curls or "fuzz." These fuzz-sticks really catch quickly as there's plenty of Oxygen and the resin acts not only as fuel but accelerant.

Once the stick has been shaved pretty thin I break it in half and lean the two halves against each other tipi style. A single match is usually more than enough to get a fire going. If I was really feeling adventurous I could use the striker from my metal match to create fatwood "dust" which would take a spark.

Maybe it's time to add some fatwood back into the pack...

Thanks for reading,

B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home