American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, October 24, 2011

Press the "Reset" Button

For a very long time, I've done less with more and it's time for a change.

I've been playing with some of my oldest gear in the past few days and I'm thinking about changing it up for the sake of change and to show that I can still do it with some minimal, inexpensive gear.

Will that draw me out? I don't know for sure but a change could have a positive impact while doing nothing surely will lead to more of the same...silence, the occasional post, and little else.

I need to hunt, I need to hike, and I need to camp.

I got a couple of wool blankets from Robert at The Canteen Shop today along with some other gear and it got me thinking about walking away from my synthetics and ultra-lightweight gear for a while just to prove something to myself.

My plan is to cut the cost of items to a minimum with a couple of notable exceptions--cutlery related.

Come along with me and let's see how it goes...

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ive started to do the same,ive got so much tied up in gear,but going minimal is so much fun,i know my kids love it,as for knives i feel like you,but i tell you im even having tons of fun on ebay buying butcher knives and cleaning them up ,,matts knives i consider old too lol,i guess i had so much i had nowhere to go so im starting over and in the process im remembering why i started this journey ,,,BECAUSE ITS FUN,,good luck hunting this year and all the best to you and yours

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger sam said...

I certainly get where you're coming from on this. Some items are quality, some expensive and some effective. Not everything is all three!

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Halfhippie.com said...

Reminds me of a "hobbit's weekend" I took last (Yes waving the nerd flag here)... Went out into the woods with just a bedroll, a knife, a canteen, and a loaf of hard bread. Man was I hungry, but it pressed the reset button alright. Love to hear about your adventure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home