American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Traditional or Technical

This is a quandry many of us face.

Laura and I are going skiing today and I find myself faced with the question of traditional wool clothing versus technical Gore-Tex, wicking materials, and more.

I lean toward wool just because I like the way it works, how it looks, and even how it smells (or doesn't smell once you've been working.)

Not surprisingly, I have enough kit to go in either direction and will probably not make a final decision until we're running out the door.

I'll have pictures and a write-up when we get home.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Blogger backcountrybowhunter said...

Trad vs tech is a continuum that we all find ourselves on. I find I trend more strongly in the trad direction, shooting a longbow for nearly all of my big game hunting, preferring to not take tent stakes and crafting my own instead, cooking with fire when possible, etc. I like my wool as well, but for hunting I have been drawn to the newer hi tech clothing such as sitka or even under armor....

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger J. J. Magnum said...

I can tell you what Ruhl found out by dog sledding; traditional is great stuff until you have to move long distances in a full run, then it gets too heavy and stiff. We are exploring lighter weight more modern materials.

It's all about the layers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home