American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Simple Pleasures

Merry Christmas!

Happy New Year!

Yeah, I've been gone again for a while. Sorry.

Where the time goes is still a mystery. It's not like I've got anything to show for my absence...

Anyway, I was just sharpening a pencil and realized that it's been years since I used a pencil sharpener other than the knife I had in my pocket.

It's a real pleasure to get a nice even cone using nothing but the eye, a sharp blade, and experience (muscle memory.)

With three kids under 10, I can tell you that I sharpen a lot of pencils. Thank goodness they haven't really wanted to move on to pens just yet.

If you're not currently sharpening with a pocket knife, give it a whirl. You may find it as enjoyable as I do.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Blogger J. J. Magnum said...

Back in the 70's while in college I broke the point on my pencil while engaged in an impromptu writing assignment during Freshman Comp class. I whipped out my pocket knife and did a quick fix (it was a timed exercise).

The Prof looked up and pointed to the rear of the room, "Sharpener's back there."

"That's okay, I've got it, thanks."

He went back to his papers and nothing more was said.

My how times have changed...

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Off Grid Survival said...

I would imagine with 3 under 1o the time can sometime go by pretty quick

 

Post a Comment

<< Home