American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, January 22, 2010

Night Hiking

Last night the Scout Pack went for a night hike.

We met up at Village Hall around 7pm and hiked into the woods for about an hour looking and listening. We had two rules for the boys:

1. Be quiet.
2. No flashlights.

Other than that, it was pretty much anything goes as long as you would stay with your trail buddy.

Of course, so many boys and their parents crunching through the semi-frozen snow meant that we wouldn't hear or see any nighttime wildlife but we could still make out tracks and scat by the light of the moon. Differentiating between dog (pet) and coyote was difficult because of the location alongside the trail but there was definitely some opportunity for tracking with the ground conditions.

It was icy too.

My first step out of the van was on to a sheet of ice and I had to do my best "Happy Feet" impression to keep myself upright. I managed to tweak my back a bit and spent the night last night wishing that I'd done some stretching and warming up prior to exiting the van (even though that would have been more than a little strange.)

I kept asking Jake if he wanted to ditch the rest of the Pack and head deeper into the woods to find a place to shelter overnight and he had NO interest. All he wanted was Subway, a cookie, and a fountain drink. My little outdoorsman. LOL!

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Good to see the Scouts there are getting out and about, I see very little of it here in Australia.

Thinking about your kid's subway need, my youngest son was on a school camp many years ago, and he went off and found some wild greens to go with his meagre meal! The teacher went bananas when he saw the wild greens being eaten by my sone and friend. Kaelem told him it was okay, "my Father said you can eat these" he said.
Good to know that they do actually listen!
Regards, Le Loup.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger J. J. Magnum said...

Hiking with Scouts is always an adventure. I have found however that you put two restrictions on them that are near impossible to have with Scouts - no noise, and no playing with flashlights. LOL

I don't know what it is with kids and flashlights (or adults for that matter) you hand them a light and immediately they start playing with the switch (whether they need light or not!).

Noise discipline is another matter.

Glad your hike went well.

JJ

Glad your hike went well

 

Post a Comment

<< Home