American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Edmondson Chopper Is Here!


It's here! The blade I grabbed off of Bladeforums is finally here!

The box arrived via FedEx this morning and was taped up securely. I quickly pulled my Moose (does that sound just so wrong to anybody else?!) and went about "skinning" the box to get at the goodies inside. What I found was an 18" zippered case with a broken zipper. It would only open about 2" and I couldn't get the teeth lined up for the first minute or so to get at the knife inside.

Talk about frustration. Finally I got it fixed. Then I realized that Charlie had put a cork on the tip of the blade to keep it from poking out during transit but it had been jostled loose and the tip of the knife had punctured the zipper pushing the teeth out of alignment. It also looks like the tip has been flattened just a hair but nothing that won't sharpen out the second or third time around.

Anyway, here are the specs:

Hand forged 1095
5/16" thick at the base of the guard tapering to the swedge
8.75" blade length
5 3/8" handle
21 oz. / 592 g
Bocote handle

(Click thumbnails for larger images)













The initial impression is very good. I really like the handle and it reminds me of an axe handle quite a bit. The swells really fill the hand and are right where I'd want them. The extra length is nice too because I'll be able to bring my hand back for extra power when chopping.

The rough forged finish on the blade really strikes a chord for me. I like the pitting and roughness that says "Hand Made" and there is a nice faint hamon on the blade from the heat treat/tempering process. I'm sure the blade will patina nicely as I use it more and more.

Fit and finish on this piece is excellent. There are no gaps or rough spots where there shouldn't be gaps or rough spots. The spine is nicely squared and throws a shower of sparks from my firesteel. The swedge isn't sharp but could be very quickly with a coarse stone. The edge is sharp like an axe and is probably ideal for heavy chopping but I think I'm going to refine it a bit more once I've used it the way Charlie set it up.

Now, I've got to get in touch with a sheathmaker. Got any recommendations? :)

Thanks for reading,


B

5 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger sam said...

You're as bad with knives as I am with books!
How do you pick which one to use and how long do you keep using them for?

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

LOL! I'm probably as bad with books too.

I'm on the quest for "the one" and will have to keep trying until I find it. The biggest problem with "the one" is, of course, that one size doesn't fit all.

I like big choppers. I like rustic knives. I also like small useful knives. I love my F1 but if I could get it in Carbon Steel with a slightly longer blade I'd be in heaven.

I have knives that I've been using on and off for over 10 years. They may not be used all the time but they're used often enough to keep them.

The hard part isn't deciding which to keep, it's deciding which to get rid of. They've all got some redeeming quality which is why I bought them in the first place.

B

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger J. J. Magnum said...

For a sheath contact Dannyboy over at TLT. He can probably set you up with some fine leather for that.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Tim Noble said...

Great looking knife. Looks like it has plenty of power.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Keith said...

As a logo I would suggest something that reminds people where this lifestyle started for many of us. A Daniel Boone lifestyle, the 18th century woodsman. I can't think of anything that fires the imagination of youngsters and adults alike than the life of a colonial woodsman (mind you they did not have subways back then!!!).
How about an old illustration of a woodsman?

Regards, Le Loup.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home