American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

The Moose

The Moose has replaced my old red Victorinox Pioneer for the moment. This particular model is from 1972, made by Case Knives, and has Carbon Steel blades. This particular version, the 6275, has a clip and spey blade and both of them are nice and sharp.

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for old slipjoints. Sure, I like the high tech locking mechanisms as much as the next knife guy but the traditional gear always can find a place with me. There's something truly timeless in their designs. Plus, if the Moose was good enough to be part of Nessmuk's gear then it's good enough for me.

I think it's pretty funny that a monster knife like the Moose raises fewer eyebrows than some of my smaller Spyderco's or my small Chris Reeve Sebenza would. I guess it's the materials and the overall look that makes it more okay for public use. (I never said I understood the sheep, just that I notice their reaction...)

Anyway, this one gets sharpened on a 4" DMT Coarse stone and finished on a 4" DMT Fine stone. Quick and dirty to put on a serviceable edge that is nice and toothy and handles any day to day cutting chores with ease. This is the knife that defies all other sharpening media for some reason. Maybe the blades are extra hard. All I know is that the diamonds cut and they cut fast and put on an edge I can use all day without touching up. At night, a few seconds through the process and I'm done.

I have used the spine of the spey blade to spark a piece of flint into charcloth on one or two occasions but tend to keep the wear and tear to the edges of the blades if I can help it. It's a neat trick to show off at a campout though.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Blogger sam said...

That's a nice looking one~.
I've noticed that when people think pocket knife, they mean slip joint or SAK. Other things go in the sheeple box marked "tactical"

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger John said...

I have one of those from the same time period that was a gift from my Dad. It was my first "serious" pocket knife.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home