American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, February 13, 2009

Bushcraft Tools

I shot this picture this morning while setting up some other gear shots and really liked it. I thought I'd share it with you.

That's the Diving Sparrow Knife Works Boreal and the Rod Garcia Skookum Bush Tool on top of one of the standards in my bushcraft library, Kochanski's "Bush Craft."

The knives are similar in some respects but also so utterly different to defy comparison. The handles are both very comfortable and the blades are nicely thin but that's really where the comparison stops. While Abe's knife is flat ground with a wicked sharp edge, Rod's SBT is Scandi ground with a wicked sharp edge. One is 1095 and one is A2. The Boreal is a real slicer at 1/8" thick while the SBT has just a bit more thickness at 5/32" and no slouch in the slicing department.

Both knives are thin enough to handle cutting chores efficiently but you'll want to pair them both with an axe for heavier work I suspect. And, since I carry a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe (SFA) with me quite often, I'm covered.

I have been using the SBT quite a bit lately and it's developed some patina but stropping the edge gets rid of any discoloration so I'd eventually end up with a nice patina on the flats and highly polished bevels (if this one was mine.) I don't think Dan and Spen will mind the patina but I'll probably polish the flats before returning it just because I'm such a nice guy. :)

Anyway, I got some additional pictures of the contents of Box of Awesome 2 that I'll get posted in the next couple of days. I'm going to have to hurry though as Mike's already sitting on Box of Awesome 3 and coming up with more project ideas.

Thanks for reading,


B

4 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THose are both very fine tools! Have you used either for cutting meat?

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

I have. Both of them actually.

The Boreal really glides through anything you put in front of it and steaks are no exception. That high flat grind really zips through material (and slices a heck of a nice potato.)

The SBT is really, really sharp and it has cut pork easily but thicker materials (like a potato) can split a bit once you've gone past the Scandi grind.

By the way, those are raw potatoes I'm cutting. I don't suspect I'd have any problems with either knife in a cooked potato.

Thanks,


B

 
At 3:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a palm swell on the Boreal and how do you like the handle in general for fine cutting tasks?

Chris :)

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

There is a slight palm swell but it seems that most of Abe's contouring is top to bottom.

I could get more pictures of it from different angles if you'd like.

Thanks,


B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home