American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, September 01, 2008

Storing Cordage

I was daisy-chaining some cordage this morning to store it in my pack and it reminded me of this fantastic video I saw on YouTube:



This is only slightly different from how I do it and I suspect that has something to do with the diameter of the rope and the acceptable size of his loops versus the stuff I use.

The benefit to storing cordage in this manner is the ease of deployment. Just untie the half hitch in the end and give the free end a pull. The whole thing unties in a matter of seconds.

It also minimizes tangles and takes only a short time to tie up. I often do this while waiting for the kids' bus in the afternoon while sitting on the rocking chair on the front porch.

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I feel like the way the video showed would still be a huge mess if it is thrown into a pile since the loops were so big and could get caught on just about anything. I like the tighter daisy chain as in your picture there. Nice video however.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

I have extension cords chained loosely (still tighter than the video though) and have not had a problem if I toss them into a pile.

He goes about 10 times faster than I do though.

I like my chains nice and tight to minimize space and to prevent tangles but it takes longer to do it right.

Thanks for your comment,

B

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good find.

For me,this is easier to do using my thigh as a base while sitting because over time holding a thick rope up can get tiring.

This method is also good for rope you want to wash, even shoe laces etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home