American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, March 28, 2008

Two Weeks!

In just two weeks I'll be on the hill in North Carolina getting a chance to see folks that I haven't seen in a couple of years and talk to folks that I only "chat" with online.

I'm in the process of gearing up and think I'm going to go very light this time. The last time I made the trip we filled the back of a conversion van with gear for three days. We were equipped for about three months.

Shelter is always one of those things I hem and haw about until I throw something together at the last minute so this trip I think I'm going to take a poncho to set up as a lean-to, my Wiggy's overbag, and a wool blanket. I'll throw one of those space blankets down on the ground to keep my bag/blanket clean but that should do it. I will, of course, take my Beans72 buckwheat pillow as it's worth its weight in gold.

EDIT:I've already had some questions about bringing the wool blanket and the sleeping bag. The wool blanket doesn't just provide me with extra insulation against the cold but it covers up the more flammable synthetic materials in the space blanket and sleeping bag and allows me the option of sleeping near a campfire. I'll have some pictures of this setup in the next day or two as I'm planning on setting up outside tonight to make sure I'll sleep warm enough.

I could also take the hammock and sleep up off the ground...or the GoLite Hex3...or the new Sportsman's Guide Teepee...do you see my dilemma?

I'm going to take one knife, a folding saw, and my Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet for cutting tools.

I'll bring along my Swedish Army Trangia and Guyot stainless bottle for cooking/coffee/water purification. My firestarting kit travels inside the Trangia pots but I'll probably just share someone else's campfire and help supply firewood.

I will have my folding Titanium spork from REI.

Food is always available up there and several great cooks will be present but I'll bring along some basics like rice, parched corn, jerky, bacon, and coffee.

I've got my clothing sorted out (not much work required there) and have my meds/hygiene kit ready to go.

Once I get my shelter option firmed up I should be ready to roll.

Thanks for reading,


B

5 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good wool blanket is well worth bringing when you are not hoofing it.

I keep a large, thick army one in my vehicle trunk at all times. In my opinion wool is the best all around insulator, even when wet. And a blanket can be used in many way.

Its only disadvantage is weight, but when an engine is carrying the load that is less of a consideration.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger sam said...

Is this by any chance the practice what you preach outing? I've seen it written about in tactical knives and it mentions many of your usual buddies - briar patch outdoor and JRE

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

It is absolutely PWYP Sam.

I went three years ago and haven't been able to make it since because of child-care issues.

That year we were so over-geared it was hilarious (looking back) and this year I plan on going with some personal restrictions to make it as fun and challenging as I can.

The Briar Patch class was partly challenging because I refused to take more gear than would fit in a 5-gallon bucket and it makes me feel more like I earned it at the end of the day.

This should be no different.

Thanks for your comment,

B

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

I think I might just deal with the extra weight of wool gear if the other choice is to leave it home.

I've had too many great wool shirts/pants/blankets to leave them behind if the weather is going to be particularly nasty.

My Wiggy's bag will keep me warm even when wet but it won't resist sparks from a campfire so the wool should help provide me with another layer of insulation as well as insurance against damaging my bag. Seems like it'll be well worth the extra weight.

Heck, I can lose more weight from my belly than the bag weighs if the ounces were really my concern. :)

Thanks,

B

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Vinosaur said...

So, have you decided which blade will be the lucky blade to go with you?

Vino

 

Post a Comment

<< Home