American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Camp Coffee

Ah, a subject near and dear to my caffeine-addicted heart...coffee.

My last trip to REI to return the second pair of Merino wool gloves resulted in the purchase of a GSI H2jO! which fits the threads on a wide mouth Nalgene or Guyot Designs bottle and allows you to enjoy cowboy coffee without the crunchy bits that invariably get into your cup.

Take ground coffee, add to the filter, pour boiling water through the filter, screw on the bottle lid--it'll screw right onto the H2jO, invert your bottle for a few minutes, and then turn it right side up, remove the filter, and enjoy your freshly brewed coffee.

The Guyot bottles get really, really hot when filled with boiling water so be careful.

Sure, you could make your cowboy coffee the old way using an empty can but this adds little weight, can be used for loose leaf tea, and can also strain the gnarly bits from locally available water as a sort of pre-filter.

I sit here sipping my fresh brewed coffee and I think I could easily pound 32 ounces of hot, black coffee after a long night of swatting bugs while sleeping under my tarp lean-to.

Mmm...java.

Thanks for reading,


B

9 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good concept. However I am a bit concerned about having very hot liquids in plastic containers. Could be more in your brew than expected.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

The leaching Nalgene topic has been beaten to death on the forums.

I don't know just what to think or who to believe so I moved to the stainless Guyot bottle several months ago. Now I've cut the weight of the stainless cup I used to carry under my Nalgene and I can use it as a billy can in a pinch as well as avoiding possible chemical leaching from polycarbonate containers.

All I need worry about now is burned hands from the [b]very[/b] conductive stainless Guyot uses in their bottles. The first exposure to hot tea in my bottle was a real eye-opener.

Thanks for your comment,

B

 
At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree Bushman, "beaten to death" is an understatement. Still, it merits consideration.

What happens if you leave your steel bottle closed and the hot liquid cools? Any implosion?

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

LOL!

No, the Guyot is plenty thick to resist a vacuum created by cooling liquids. You'd probably get the *pfffft* sound of air rushing in when you unscrewed the lid the next time but no compromised integrity of the bottle.

If the Guyot bottles weren't sold out everywhere I'd get another one or two for the kids and maybe one more for my pack.

They're supposed to be releasing a double wall model that won't be useful for boiling over a fire but it'll be better at insulating hot or cold liquids. I will keep using the single wall with a Nalgene sleeve like this one over my stainless bottle and avoid condensation and overly hot bottles.

Really, if the Guyot only costs about twice what a Nalgene does and it avoids potential pitfalls like leaching chemicals then it doesn't take much convincing in my mind.

B

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger The Suburban Bushwacker said...

The camp coffee thing has recently been 'worked over' on BCUK. this looks like a pretty good solution.
After all coffee is a basic human right.SBW

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Vinosaur said...

Great find B. Just picked up one today when I went to REI to pick my dividend goodies. Your post made me decide I needed one. I especially like that it fits inside the 32 oz. bottle without taking extra space somewhere else.

Vino

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet. I must have coffee, no matter where I am. Which one of these Guyot Bottles did you get? Did you get any of those colorful splashguards?

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

I have the 38oz. Standard Guyot bottle and I run mine regularly with the Gription. I have one for myself and one for each of the kids on their bottles.

You won't catch us outdoors without them these days.

Thanks for your comment,


B

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just get folgers coffee singles, work like tea bags. No muss or fuss like cleaning the filter! B.D.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home