American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, November 26, 2007

Skills Distractions

While we were out hunting on Sunday we endured cold rain mixed with sleet and my mind wandered to firestarting and the work that would be required to get a fire going should someone in the party start to act hypothermic.

There was plenty of mullein in the field but I don't think any of the stalks were going to be of much use in friction firestarting. They were just too old and cracked--lots of dry grasses to go up with a firesteel though. Good thing I had my Fallkniven F1 and a survival kit in my hunting vest.

Of course, it didn't get cold enough to become hypothermic as we walked most of the time and that kept the body temperatures up.

It's funny to be in the field hunting and to be distracted by the abundance of firestarting materials readily available should we need them...

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Blogger Owen said...

sounds like a good hunting trip, do you use mullein for hand drill?

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

I do. Mullein spindle and cedar board is as I was instructed at Briar Patch.

I've tried other materials but find the mullein to work as well or better than others and now that I can readily identify it in the field I can make a new spindle as needed.

Thanks for your comment,

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home