American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

SAR Knives Ridge Runner

I got a new blade from Triple Aught Design the day of the fishing trip. This one's from Spencer Reiter of SAR Knives and it's called the Ridge Runner.

The knife is a bit of a departure from what I normally buy and use but the design, the size, the steel, and that heavily sculpted handle all spoke to me as soon as I saw the picture.

Blade Type = Hollow Ground Drop Point
Blade Length = 4"
Blade Thickness = 0.14"
Blade Material = S30V
Blade Finish = Fine Matte
OAL = 8"
Scales = Contoured Black G10 with blue liners
Tapered Full Tang
Black Kydex Sheath

In the month that I've had the knife it has been transferred from one bag to another, one pocket to another, or one location to another. Unfortunately, I've never actually used it to cut anything. That is going to change.

I put a convex edge on it using the mousepad and sandpaper method and screwed on a Tek-Lock last night so now it can easily go on and off a belt.

I planned on putting up some in-hand shots of the knife but, unfortunately, my camera battery died and is now recharging for the next batch of pictures. I can tell you that the handle is a full four-finger grip putting my index finger in the choil and the sculpted handles seem plenty grippy even when wet and soapy. The blade has got some jimping where your thumb will naturally fall on the spine and where your index finger will fall at the choil.

All of the edges are nicely rounded making the knife very comfortable in the hand. The blue liners under the G10 slabs add a very subtle touch of color.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the fit and finish on this knife. I will now begin the long process of testing the knife and will report back here once I've got some real world experience with the Ridge Runner.

Spencer Reiter, the knifemaker, is a full time soldier and part time knifemaker and demands at his "day job" have forced him to put his knifemaking on hold for about five months. Not to worry though. He's got some knives currently available and, I suspect once he gets going again, he'll be able to put a knife in your hand relatively quickly.

Give him a look.

Thanks for reading,


B

6 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you buy all these knives or do they give them to you for review? these aren't cheap knives.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Boy do I wish makers would give me knives...

No, I purchase all of the knives I've reviewed (with the exception of the Simonich Kootenai) with my own funds.

It can be an expensive hobby.

Thanks for your comments,

B

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Juhku said...

Could you make a review from Finnish traditional carving knife?

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Absolutely...if I could find one.

Something like one of these?

My spoon making needs some work but I could probably come up with something.

Thanks for stopping in,


B

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Juhku said...

More like this one.

http://juho.pic.fi/kuvat/Puukot/DSC_0511a.jpg/full

:D

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Spencer said...

Brian, thanks for the review maybe you are due a free one for your service.

Spencer A Reiter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home