American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Fallkniven F1

It's here! It's here!


My Fallkniven F1 with the fold-over leather sheath is here. I've played around with the knife around the house and now just need to get into the woods with it. I am liking the thermorun handle but the sheath, while sturdily built and nicely stitched and finished, just isn't my cup of tea.

I've got Dan and Spen at JRE Industries working on a new design and am also thinking about having Robert Humelbaugh of Survival Sheath Systems make up one of his fantastic kydex/concealex sheaths for it. Yes, sometimes a knife can go in kydex so long as it is well designed and well executed.

The F1 is the new laminated 420J2/VG-10 model with the convexed blade. Apparently there have been several iterations of the design since it first hit the street some 8+ years ago. It's sharp. I haven't cut myself (yet) with it but I can tell you that it came darned sharp right out of the box. I stropped it anyway.

The rest of the gear in the picture includes a Fallkniven DC4 sharpener, a Light My Fire Army firesteel, and a K&M Industries matchcase designed to hold the longer REI matches. This gear, along with a bit of cordage, should be more than adequate for most of my forays into the woods on day hikes.

I look forward to getting the F1 dirty...we'll see if I can get a patina on that VG-10...

Thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home