American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, February 09, 2011

It's All About Priorities

I'm not talking about making the blog a priority here though, I'm talking about those essential priorities that will keep us alive when faced with a survival-type situation. They are:



  • Air

  • Shelter

  • Water

  • Food

  • Fire

  • Signaling



When I say "Air," that includes all essential first aid. It's often overlooked but injury can accompany a survival situation and if you don't stop excessive bleeding the shelter isn't going to help you much. If you're buried under the snow, building a fire isn't the first thing you need.

Now, the list of priorities is always changing based on location, seasonality, personality, weather, and setting. For that reason, there's no one list that beats all others.

I'll be looking at various scenarios and settings over the next several weeks and talking about how I would prioritize and I'd like you to think about the same.

There will be a minimal kit that will remain the same through all the scenarios because we've all heard the mantra "Your survival knife is the knife you have on you in a survival situation" and sometimes the knife you like to carry isn't ideal for every task. Plus, there are certain bits of kit I carry every day anyway and it'll be a good mental exercise to see if I'm carrying the right stuff to get me through...

So, let's get started shall we?

Tomorrow: The Colossal Blizzard Scenario...

Thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home