American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, February 04, 2011

Prehistoric Indian Blazes

As I was reading through "Wildwood Wisdom" again last night, I saw an illustration labeled "Prehistoric Indian Blazes" and noted that one of them was also tagged as being not too far from here. Then I remembered the picture I have of a very similar tree.

Reading through the text, there's a trail from Lake Michigan through 5 miles of wilderness to a former Indian village. Well, that trail has long since been reduced to housing, forest preserves, and highway.

BUT, at least one tree still stands marking that ancient pathway and now I aim to see if I can find any more.

Any good blaze is within sight distance of the next so there's a chance that another one is out there and I just haven't seen it because I wasn't looking carefully enough.

This is how the adventure begins...

Thanks for reading,


B

1 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Blogger J. J. Magnum said...

There are a number of "Indian Trail Trees" along the Old Saulk Trail (now known as US 12 between Detroit and Chicago) which passes by my boyhood home. There is one which is somewhat disputed but in an accurate location right here in Coldwater.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home