American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Reinventing the Wheel?

Sometimes I make life a little more difficult than it needs to be.

Take the constant drive for that next knife. You know, the one that's going to change everything. Yeah, that doesn't actually change everything but maybe changes a little and causes the cravings for something else...

I was sitting reading Sigurd Olson this morning and thinking about the classics versus the contemporaries. Why, if I am always grabbing either a Fallkniven F1 or Eriksson Mora 510, do I feel the urge to expand my knife collection further? If the Swedish Army Trangia does all I would want from a cookset/mess kit then why do I need the latest and greatest Titanium kit?

This doesn't happen to me across the board though. I bought my Wiggy's sleeping bags and that was it. The only other sleeping bags I've purchased were for the kids. Yes, Sarah has her own bag already. A Wiggy's bag, a wool blanket, and a ground pad are about all a guy could need for keeping warm.

I wish I had the answers. It'd sure be cheaper.

Thanks for reading,


B

5 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger Perkunas said...

I hear you.
I like to get new knives occasionally,but lately ive been learning to make them myself,its way cheaper and you can try to make that one,that most suitable knife then all by yourself.As theres a good handle in that knife, but that other has better blade shape,and that third just comes with better sheath,and so on..this u an avoid by tryin to do the ultimate knife with all the specifications you desire.

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous EverydayPrepper said...

The reason we always seek that next best thing is because society has told us since we were small that if we didn't have the newest, shiniest and most expensive new toy that we somehow weren't getting everything we "deserve".

I'm striving hard to fight this same battle and it's a constant battle on so many fronts. Making due with what one has seems like a lost art now-a-day.

Good luck to you and to the rest of us on being content with what we have been given. Some day we'll all realize good enough is actually just right and anything more is unnecessary.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger sam said...

There's something to be gained through the process of experimentation.
Too many people see a Mora as a "training knife" not a permanent choice.

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point! I just bought a Reindeer puukko from Cloudberry to try out. I guess I have an atavistic streak a mile wide. I like the "old look" and how things were done the "old way" and a Fallkniven F1 looks out of place to me. The Ray Mears Bushcraft knife and its clones are everywhere and I'd rather have something different. Maybe Perkunas is right? Maybe we should ALL make our own! More food for thought. Jeff

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

I tell you what, I'd LOVE to make my own knives and gear.

I want to learn to forge but finding a teacher that'll let me into his shop has been difficult to say the least.

I picked up some canvas for making pouches and think about sitting next to the wood burning stove this winter while sewing by hand.

Firing up a forge is HIGH on my list if I could ever find someone to walk me through the process first...

Thanks for your comments,


B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home