American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, November 06, 2009

What I Want

Have you ever been dissatisfied with what you had even though what you had was more than adequate for your needs? This could relate to so many areas of our lives but on this day and at this time I'm talking about cutlery.

I have so many knives. So many that are similar--a size and shape that has been determined by lots of use and personal preference and experience. The 4-5" blade, the similar sized handle, the sub .25" thickness, the materials in the blade and handle, and the slightly dropped point are all things I could show you 20 different ways by 20 different makers at the drop of the hat.

The Fallkniven F1, a knife I have in multiples both custom and production, may be my ideal knife. I have sheaths by MBHanzo, Survival Sheath Systems, and JRE Industries. The knives and sheaths are all so well constructed and designed that they'll last for my lifetime plus some. They've been proven in the field in all kinds of weather and conditions.

Why, then, do I have a yearning for something else?

I like big knives. Not THICK knives necessarily, but the bigger the better. Machetes, goloks, parangs, and the like are right up my alley. The Newt Livesay version of the RTAK may be the ultimate utility large blade and, at 3/16" thick, just about the maximum thickness I really like to use. I have Busses that are 5/16" thick (or more) and they're so heavy and thick that the cutting efficiency is hurt. You'd have to bring along the Incredible Hulk to swing it for very long. There's something about them though...

That's not what I want though.

What I really want, today, is a nice bowie. Something not more than 3/16" thick with a blade between 6 and 9" and a handle that's comfortable. Something somewhat rustic would really appeal to me. Maybe with an aged sheath with some fringe and a concho and a Sam Brown stud to slip it inside my belt.

I'm sure as the day progresses my mind will move on to something else and the desire for something I don't have will be replaced by something else that's equally impractical. Maybe a new cookset...

That's right, this isn't limited to cutlery. It could be shelter, clothing, cooksets, my hunting rifle, or any of a dozen other categories...

Thanks for reading,


B

8 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Blogger backcountrybowhunter said...

B, I am surprised you haven't experimented around with a leuku type knife yet.... brilliant function and form, a bit more of a mini machete than a bowie, there is something primitive about them that never ceases to put a smile on my face. http://www.ragweedforge.com/FinnishKnifeCatalog.html

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

I have. It was too early on in my work with Scandi Grinds though and I passed my 9" Stromeng Leuku on to someone else who might appreciate it more.

I have an email in to Ragnar to let me know as soon as he gets more in.

I actually received the 9" Leuku the very same day as I received my Busse FFBM. Let me find the pic.

B

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Here is one shot.

Look at the thickness difference...

B

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger J. J. Magnum said...

I think you need an Outback 9 from Diving Sparrow. The Outback 7 is a beautifully balanced cutting machine, but the 9... Oh my.

JJ

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

What I just got from Abe...




MERCY!!!

Not a chopper though...

B

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger backcountrybowhunter said...

And then again, there is the Buck 119. Great bowie style knife, they even have a couple special editions floating around out there.

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

B, I feel your pain. I have several Falllknivens and Moras, and... ad nauseum. I have decided to buy nothing until I can figure out what the heck I really want. Tough decision but your site helps as I can see what you and other people buy and use and review hoping to see what I want. I'll keep checking all the blogs and sites on my quest. Keep up the good work. Jeff

 
At 3:18 AM, Blogger The Suburban Bushwacker said...

'I'm sure as the day progresses my mind will move on to something else and the desire for something I don't have will be replaced by something else that's equally impractical. Maybe a new cookset...

That's right, this isn't limited to cutlery. It could be shelter, clothing, cooksets, my hunting rifle, or any of a dozen other categories...'

You and me both LOL
SBW

 

Post a Comment

<< Home