American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Making a Commitment

Today I'm making a commitment to you and to myself.

By the time this day is done I will be on the road to becoming the bowhunter I always wanted to be.

Compound or long or recurve? Release or finger-pull? High tech or old school? What's my draw length? What's my draw weight? Sit and wait or stalk? In the air or on the ground?

I don't know.

I hope to know by tomorrow morning.

Sarah and I are taking a field trip today.

Thanks for reading,


B

EDIT: It is NOT going to be today after all. I had made a prior commitment to stick around the house to await an important package and that day just happens to be today. BUMMER!

I'll have to see if I can make it up there later this week.

5 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Furthermore...you should give up your knife collection and donate it to a needy squirrel!

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Anders said...

Ahh, the danger of making a commitment and telling everyone about it on the web... ;-)

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Boy, no kidding!

I think I've made a few past commitments that I'm still working on fulfilling too...

I hope to make the trip up later this week (or still today if this package comes early enough) so all is not lost...

I have to strike immediately when an opportunity presents itself or I get bogged down with other obligations and things get lost in the shuffle.

It's almost blackpowder season and I should be getting ready for THAT but the timing is right to make the trip (for me) to the archery shop for some much needed guidance and training.

B

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Get a copy of the Traditional Bowyers Bible IV and follow the directions for the board bow. You will have a killer (literally) bow you made yourself and a very useful survival skill also. The book is in most libraries, the wood costs around 5 bucks, how can you lose?

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Mike,

Thanks for your comment.

I've owned all of the Bowyers books for quite some time and haven't managed to split out my first stave so I thought I'd start with a commercially available bow and THEN make my own.

Both roads have been slow so far...

:)

Thanks again,


B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home