American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

New Pocketknife

I want a new pocketknife.

I've been carrying the same Victorinox Farmer for a long, long time and, even though I love it, I'm growing tired of (bored with) it. It's so reliable and useful and...constant.

I have plenty of other knives (as you all know) but nothing is really floating my boat right now. I'd like to carry a Spyderco but don't have a real strong feeling one way or the other for their models other than the Rocklobster which isn't even out yet.

The Farmer is just hard to beat because it's more than just a knife. It's also got the saw which I use for striking firesteels, the cap lifter I use for opening bottles of beer and soda, and the can opener has that tiny Phillips screwdriver which gets used more that I'd think.

Now I can cover all the "tool" aspects of the Farmer with the SwissTool I carry every day so I can move to a pure knife but there's just something so pocket-able about the Farmer and so benign to folks around us because it's "just a Swiss Army Knife" that I'm finding hard to beat.

It'd be nice to find something lefty-friendly but that usually makes the search much more difficult.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,


B

5 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go to the equipped to survive website and look at the brand new swiss army knife it is made for LEFTIES

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger The Suburban Bushwacker said...

why not 'ave it old skool
http://www.wrcase.com/knives/view_all/browseview2.php?Family=%22Stag%20Damascus%22&View=1&Item=6056

SBW

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
I carry a Benchmade Vex as "edc", its a god and reasonable priced folder. The only drawback is that I have had to grind a firesteel strikers edge on the spine, it couldnt produce sparks without it.
Not a big probleme for me as I intend to use it. And I refuse to use the cutting edge a striker!
Being a swede I also have to promote "Fällkniven"!
There folders are great, I personaly own both the "PXL" and the "P".
The PXL is a BIG folder, I sometimes "edc" it but I have to admit I mostly just play around with it and go ooh...
The P is smaller but still a tough knife.
Fällknivens TK 3 and TK 4 also looks great. I have seen them IRL and sometime I just have to get them to.
Maybe you could consider a small fixed blade?
With the Fällkniven WM1 you just cant go wrong. This is my favourite knife all categories.
It was originally deigned to fit women hands but I just love it.
Every time I go backpacking or just go for a afternoon i the woods I carry it around my neck.
The only problem with Fällkniven knives is that they are a bit difficult to sharpen, but once one get a hang of it they hold an edge like nobody else.
We outdoor/knife/gadget nuts dont get the credit we deserve, just think of all the choises and all the decissions we have to make.
And all the money we have to spend.

Hope you get my english.
Best regards.
Anders from Sweden

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian, get yourself a Mini-SERE from AL Mar. It may not have the utility of the Farmer, but it will cut like nobody's business. I took it's full size brother to Alaska and could not have been better served. Smooth to open and great steel.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

CUB, I just got the one-handed Stayglow Trekker from SwissBianco and JRE and it's left-handed PLUS the main blade is plain edge versus the part serrated.

SBW, THAT is a beautiful knife. I've always liked the Barlow pattern and that damascus is unreal.

Anders, I've got a Vex and, as much as I like it, dislike that Benchmade has chosen to use Spyderco's round hole opener. The Spyderco Tenacious is a comparable knife if slightly less "finished" but you're right, both are fantastic knives with big bang for your buck. The Fallkniven folders are lookers but I think all the Fallknivens are getting harder to find until the 2009 inventories start to come in.

Jim, I didn't realize there was a MINI Sere from Al Mar. I'll have to check that out. I've never owned an Al Mar but I've heard lots of good things about them.

Thanks for your comments,


B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home