American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, March 12, 2009

If You Didn't Bring Jerky, What Did I Just Eat

I've been racing to finish Bill Heavey's book If You Didn't Bring Jerky, What Did I Just Eat: Misadventures in Hunting, Fishing, and the Wilds of Suburbia before the baby's Friday due date and it's been a highly entertaining read and the short stories really fit into my busy lifestyle.

Heavey has been a writer for Field & Stream for many years and his stories paint him as a truly unorthodox outdoorsman who sometimes has bouts of insanity (like the time he snuck out of the hunting lodge hours before sun-up only to realize he'd forgotten his pants back on his sleeping bag) with massive successes (like the two day Alaskan hunt that saw him bag a 300+ pound caribou.)

He writes about hunting, fishing, knives, spending time outdoors with his daughter Emma, and the seeming genetic directive to acquire the latest camo patterns and newest gear every season. You can see why I might find his writing particularly entertaining.

The book's cover price of $14 is more than reasonable and it looks like you can get the paperback at Amazon.com for slightly less. This book, like From a Wooden Canoe is good enough that I'll pass it around when I'm finished. I know of at least two people who'll get a kick out of Heavey's stories.

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Blogger scoutinlife said...

From a Wooden Canoe is one of my favorite books of all time!

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger backcountrybowhunter said...

I didn't know there was a baby on the way! Congrats!

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger The Suburban Bushwacker said...

BH is so funny, i just wish he'd kept his short lived blog going. His voice is what I think of when i think of the American outdoors writer with wit and a brain.
Nil Point Zumbo
SBW

 

Post a Comment

<< Home