American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

More from Nick Allen

I just got this pair in from Nick Allen (NWA Knives) yesterday. This makes a total of four pieces from Nick and each one has excellent fit and finish, great handle ergonomics, and the visible hamon line on the blade really completes the look.

These blades are both O1 with the Field Knife sporting a 5" blade and the smaller one a 3.25" blade from tip to the front of the scale. The smaller knife weighs in at 4.35 oz. and the Field Knife at 7.8 oz. The smaller blade is 0.155" thick and the Field Knife is 0.21" thick. The sheaths have been treated with Nick's beeswax dip and come just about as hard as wood. These two sheaths both came with loops for the Light My Fire Army firesteel. I added a firesteel to the Field Knife sheath and the fit was tight but, as with all leather sheaths, it'll stretch a bit with time and the friction fit will loosen just a hair.

Jake is becoming quite a student of bladeware and spent some time yesterday looking over the smaller knife under close supervision. He really liked the way the handle felt in his hand and how the knife moved through the air (paraphrasing his words.) Then, when asked, he refused to hand it back to me.

He has taken quite a fancy to some of my knives and I'll find him going through "the box" for a new knife which he will then claim as his own. I don't think he'll get this one until I've used it a bit but he sure seemed tempted.

I really like how Nick has kept the aesthetic of the Field Knife in both the big and small knives. There's definitely a Nick Allen style now. Apparently he also makes a D2 fillet knife that looks very interesting and he could probably modify that design just a hair to make a great butchering/prep knife for my next deer. I suspect, however, that any of the four NWA knives I currently own could do the job just fine.

The Camp Knife and my original Field Knife are off to Mike Billman for his kydex sheath treatment and I'll get a picture of the whole "family" once they come back. Those will be part of Box of Awesome 3.

Thanks for reading,


B

4 Comments:

At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Brian, it really is cool that you are getting the kids involved.

Those knives will bring your family many life times of service. Enjoy and stay safe.

Thanks again
NWA

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger American Bushman said...

You raise a great point Nick.

Jake's probably so interested in these knives because he knows he's going to be getting, using, and handing them down to his kids someday. :)

Thanks for your comment,


B

 
At 5:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have a hard time handing that knife back myself. Either of them. I would be interested in obtaining a similar pair. Do you have the contact and pricing info for NWA knives?

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Sure do, you can drop him a note at Nick@metricsunlimited.com.

The Stinger was $145, the Field Knife was $200, and I think the camp knife was around $260-$275.

His current lead time is about six months and, yes, I'm already back in the queue. :)

Thanks,


B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home