American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Stayglow Trekker from JRE

I've been carrying and using this knife since I got it and have to revise some of the things I said about it.

First, I believe I called it a one-handed version of the Rucksack.

While the tools are definitely similar to the Rucksack, the locking system is definitely NOT the same. The liner lock on the main blade also locks the cap lifter/wire stripper in the open position.

The more I use this knife the more I like and appreciate the one-handed feature. I have a one-handed German Army Knife (GAK) from current production but never used it much because of the serrated blade. The plain edge on the Stayglow Trekker has seen tons of use already and, I suspect, will see more going forward.

The glowing scales are a great feature and one that both makes the knife easier to spot in a dark room and entertains my 5-year-old to no end. He likes illuminating the scales and then killing the lights so much I may have to get him his own and take the edge off the main blade--he can already open a regular SAK with ease.

I'm really glad they went with the corkscrew instead of the screwdriver on this model. Not only can I open a bottle of wine but I can get one of those mini screwdrivers and put it inside the corkscrew.

As much as I love my Farmer, this one beats it with the addition of the toothpick and tweezers. I carried a Silver Gripper on my keyring because the Farmer doesn't come with "implements" but the Stayglow Trekker has them built in like most of the standard SAKs.

I still think it's the ultimate and have heard that there may be a more subdued color option coming down the road.

The ONLY thing I can think of that is a slight negative about this model is the size. Some folks just won't be comfortable carrying the larger/longer SAK day to day. I don't have a problem with it and find the extra length on both the blade and saw to be very useful.

This is a limited run so if you've got an interest in them I'd encourage you to give the boys at JRE Industries a call/email to see what they can do to help you get your hands on one before they're gone for good.

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 6:14 AM, Blogger vlad said...

Teach children to safely close a knife.
Grasp back of blade. With other hand release lock, and slowly move the handle to cover the sharp blade.

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The corkscrew is also great for working out tight knots too Brian!

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Interesting. I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks for the tip!

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home