American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow Day

School's CLOSED Baby!

We got dumped on overnight and it's still snowing.

The kids' Holiday Parties have been cancelled, presents for the teachers and bus drivers will have to wait to be delivered until after the New Year, and the snacks I made just went to work with my wife.

The roads are so bad this morning that my wife could have used Pete Gawleta's newest video on YouTube:



(Tell me that doesn't look like a total blast!)

After seeing his newest videos on YouTube last night, footage I've not seen in any of the seven Bushcraft and Survival DVDs, I emailed to ask if he was already working on Volume 8 and he assured me that he is.

This is great news for me as these are the DVDs I bring with me whenever I travel and new volumes are always exciting. We must have watched Volume 7 five times in a row once it came out and the previous six volumes have been no different.

So, once I get outside to test the consistency of the snow, we might just have enough material now to do a quinze or snow trench (if it's not that light fluffy snow we've gotten so far.)

Thanks for reading,


B

5 Comments:

At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am about to purchase a new knife 150.00 is the most i want to spend and being from the deep south ,down here if it isnt high carbon then it just is not worth having,but reading how you love the fallkniven im wondering if im wrong about high carbon being the only way to go,im sorry to change the subject but i really would love to hear about the way you feel about blade steel,i will be using this as an all around skinning cooking camping knife nothing real heavy unless absolutely needed,whew im long winded lol thanks chris from al.

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun in the snow and dream of going mudding in that tank of a vehicle come spring!

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Chris,

I'm also a huge fan of good Carbon Steel in a blade and, frankly, that is the only thing I'd change in the Fallkniven F1.

I used it this year for gutting, skinning, and butchering my deer and it did a fine job. I rolled the tip a bit cutting through the ribs and going right to the bone across the sternum but I steeled the rolls out easily.

It has withstood as much abuse as I've been able to throw at it too so there's no need to baby it.

For $150 you should be able to get one of JRE's custom handled F1s with a custom sheath (I think.)

If you want to test an F1 before buying though drop me an email and I'll send you one to play with.

I'm bringing one to Florida to see how well the laminated VG10 holds up to salt water.

Thanks for your comment,


B

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

ST,

LOL! That's not my Rover.

I'm a stay at home dad and drive a *gasp* minivan. (Oh the horror of having admitted that on the Internet.) :D

Thanks,

B

 
At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

send me your email b im way behind as my wife and i use the same email its mightymommylady@yahoo.com,im a stay at home dad as well and if you ever find a minivan in four wheel drive let me know thats my ride of choice too lol,chris from al.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home