American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, June 30, 2008

Biting Insect Protection

Well, what I suspected last summer to be a problem is now confirmed. I have developed an allergy to bug spray. It's not just DEET either.

I used some new spray containing Picaridin as the active ingredient and it caused a strange rash complete with blood blisters on my shins where I applied it. Last summer it was DEET and Permethrin that caused my initial problems and it's beginning to look like I need to look for other alternatives.

Last summer I had some success using Vitamin B1 doses but have read recently that there is no "proof" that this works (other than what I experienced last year.) I take 100mg of Vitamin B1 three times a day for two weeks prior to a trip and it seemed to work at either keeping the mosquitoes away or at minimizing the effects of their bites.

This summer I've been much less reliable and it shows in the number of bites all over my arms, legs, and neck from time spent outside.

Broadleaf plantain has worked wonders in the past to relieve the itching and swelling and it continues to work today.

Perhaps trying to prevent the bites for me is hopeless. Treating them is another matter.

Thanks for reading,


B

5 Comments:

At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

something that works for my family is garlic and lots of it a couple of days before a trip we eat spagetti at least twice and i load up on the powderd garlic to the point at first my kids went eweee but now they know why and they have ate it so much they like it.the object is to consume so much that you almost sweat the garlic odor.beleive me the nastys stay away.DO NOT do this if u r going deer hunting as the deer will stay away as well.much happiness chris from al.

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Thanks for your comment Chris.

I have used garlic effectively against ticks in the past and, as I was using it in conjunction with the Vitamin B1, it may have had some impact on the mosquitoes too.

I found some of the smelly garlic pills at the grocery and take one a day (they're some massive dosage so one should get 'er done) for the same duration as I take the B1 prior to a trip.

B

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In order to combat the mosquito's you have to know what it is that draws them to you.

Smell. Most bug sprays simply mask that scent with varying degrees of success.

Try that stuff from Avon. It's a bug spray/sun block combo. I tried it this year and it works extremely well.

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger SordidPanda said...

Another option to help bug proof you is to wash using Pine Tar soap.

The pine tar will leave a "smokiness" on your skin that isn't unpleasant. Reminds me faintly of campfire, reminds my wife of beef jerky.

Anyways, the phenolic compounds in the pine tar also repel insects. You can usually find pine tar soap in a health food store, or you can order it online.

http://www.grandpabrands.com/pinetar1280.html

It's helped me.

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Hmm...pine tar soap huh? I'll have to look around for that and give it a try.

I wonder if they sell it at Whole Foods.

After this past weekend (7/4 to 7/6) I could sure use something as I've got another 15 or 20 bites (mostly on my feet.)

Thanks for the suggestion,


B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home