American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, May 09, 2008

The Gear Shuffle

With the change of seasons comes the reloading of packs, bags, and boxes rotating out the cold-weather stuff for the milder weather stuff and increasing the water carrying/purifying gear to handle the greater need for water in warmer weather.

I'm finding it to be VERY distracting as I've been playing around with new gear, old gear, and gear that's already loaded up.

Trying to go lighter is always the plan but it sometimes just doesn't work out that way as some gear I just have to bring along with me.

There is also the need for supplemental gear for the kids should they decide to come along on a hike or campout. This is such a complicated endeavor that I've duplicated some of my gear to create a second pack for "family outings."

If I disappear for a day or two at a time you can bet I'm in the basement sorting and selecting gear or I'm out in the woods testing out my newest setup...

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have my "minimal" load ready to share with you.

Thanks for reading,


B

5 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a bad back so let me know what you think is minimal for say a 3 day outing im in the deep south as in phenix city al./Ft.Benning ga. and i truly trust your judgement. temps in the upper 80.s lower 90.s.i know a little but if you dont mind approach it like im a total newbie.im rusty and want to go out more and loose some fat. thanks chris and as always were praying for ya down here and we think your awsome

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've found cold weather water needs to be about the same as warm weather, at least in northern regions where temps stay below freezing. Very cold air is also very dry air (loses its moisture content) and so robs the body of water at an accelerated rate.

Anonymous - IMHO a gallon per day at least if you are active. More than a day or two you probably need some sort of water purification method and rely upon local water since it would difficult to carry enough.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger R & E said...

Done Yet???

:-P

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wheres my friend hey bushman you allright?from chris in al.

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Find myself shuffling gear constantly also. It is a fight between light weight no bulk and new toys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home