American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, April 25, 2008

Great New Blogging Tool -- Skype

Last night I made my first Voice Over IP (VOIP) phone call using the free software from Skype and immediately saw the benefit to making free phone calls but it wasn't until late in the conversation that I began to realize the strength of this software for non-phone applications.

First, you go to the site and download the software, follow the installation instructions, and then create a user account once it's loaded on your computer. You can then search for other users in the Skype address book and add them to your contacts with a single click.

My computer has an onboard microphone and camera so I can do video calls and regular calls without additional hardware but some folks will need a headset to use the software. The good news is that headsets are relatively inexpensive and allow you to hear the call without everyone around you being a part of your conversation.

Skype to Skype calls are free and Skype to phone calls are charged a nominal fee. The sound quality is excellent.

Where the tool really shines is in applications unrelated to VOIP. You could use the software to create an audio/video diary, convert the recording to MP3, and save it for future listening. You could also use it as a blogger to communicate directly to your readers who could, from time to time, become your listeners.

I haven't tried it yet but in the next few days I think I'll play around with the concept and see just how far I can take it. I hope to be "talking" to you all soon.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger sam said...

Skype is great, without it it would be a nightmare to stay in touch with my family in Britain

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger tstetzer said...

Mic's are the devil's work. Typing rules. All this "talking" fad will wear off soon enough!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home