American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Nick Allen Bladeforums Knife

I haven't had this knife for long but it came right in the same stretch that I received my first two Koster Knives, another Busse, and probably a few others so it didn't get much attention right off the bat. Now it's in my sights and I'm going to put it through its paces for the next several days. I've already had an opportunity to use it a little but it hasn't even broken a sweat with the work I've thrown at it.

Here are the specs:
3/16" O-1 HT'd to 59-60 RC with a visible hamon
5" Blade
OAL 10"
green Canvas Micarta Scales with stainless hardware
Sheath will be a pouch sheath treated in bees wax

These knives came about after much discussion on Bladeforums about having an "official forum knife" for the Wilderness and Survival Skills sub-forum. It is stamped with Nick's initials "NWA" on one side and "BFSK2007" (BladeForums Survival Knife) on the other.

The handle is nicely contoured and provides perhaps the most comfortable grip I've used. It does wonderfully in a strong forehand grip and allows maximum control for power cuts without creating hot spots or discomfort.

Overall, my initial impression has been very positive. Communication with Nick has been easy and he's quick to reply to inquiries. We're actually talking about getting another one with natural canvas micarta and, perhaps, some minor changes if any are needed. That part I won't know until I've done more extensive testing however.

I can't wait to get this one really, really dirty and to put some patina on it.

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 2:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

these BF NWA knives are bad ass... i have had mine for a while now... i opted for a 4 in. version.. that is my ideal field blade length...
the thing is just solid and really comfortable in the hand.. i was just amazed and i generally don't care for knives with such contoured handles.. they're wicked sharp too...

mtnfolk mike t

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Lucas said...

Where can I get one?

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Tina,

You can contact Nick at nick@metricsunlimited.com and he can give you an idea of the lead time on one of these.

I'm already on the list for one of his larger camp knives and was quoted a time of about 8 months but that's a one-off and not something that can be done in batches like the BladeForums.com knife.

Thanks for your inquiry,

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home