American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, January 14, 2008

GoLite Hex 3

Ever since the class at Briar Patch I've had my eye on a tipi. The canvas kind are fairly expensive and quite a bit bigger than I would need for most situations and the Finnish laavus I'd seen online were rather expensive and would also cost me a pretty penny for International Shipping and probably Customs.

Then I found the GoLite Hex 3.

This is a SilNylon four-season shelter designed to sleep three people if you pitch it with a line hanging from overhead or two if you use the included shock-corded adjustable pole.

Pitching it couldn't be easier. You stake out the six adjustable loops (there are also six non-adjustable loops for additional tieout points,) unzip the door, and put the pole up. There may be some additional adjustment of the stakes needed but mine went up on the very first try.

In clear weather you can run the pole up higher to raise the bottom edge of the tipi to get some additional ventilation and in poor weather you can set it down lower.

I fired up my Swedish Army Trangia inside and ran the burner to see just how effective it would be at heating the inside of the tipi and it did an adequate job. I wouldn't say it got "hot" inside but it did seem to affect the internal temperature.

The neighborhood kids (and Laura) seem to think it's about the neatest thing they've seen in a while and have been all over it doing some stress-testing of materials and the Hex 3 has come out unscathed.

The weight on the tent and pole is only a couple of pounds and it packs down small enough to fit into my pack.

I haven't yet had an overnight in the tipi but plan on doing so relatively soon. Last week's temperatures were much warmer so this may be the week for a temperature-suitability test. We're also expecting some real snow again this week so I should be able to see how well the shelter sheds the weather.

Thanks for reading,


B

8 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Blogger The Suburban Bushwacker said...

i too have been drawn to the Hex3, did you get the floor and net? How much did you have to pay for it?
happy new year
SBW

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

I only got the tarp.

I got it from Campmor.

I like the idea of not having the floor so I can cook and/or run the stove inside for heat without melting down the tent.

I may regret not having the bug netting come next summer but I can always get one of those single-man nets and try to hang it from the peak.

Thanks for your comment,


B

 
At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how was the briar patch class?? I would love to know more about it.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

It was fantastic. I pulled up a quick search of the blog HERE for you.

I'm not sure I ever got a full write-up done but it was a fantastic time, I learned a ton of stuff, got a great opportunity to make new friends, and used the heck out of my tools.

I brought home not only a whole pile of gear from digging sticks and atlatls to dogbane cordage and braintan buckskin bags to flint and bone tools.

Absolutely fantastic people up there and I plan on going back for a class or two (or more) this year.

Thanks for your comment,


B

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, I am Dawn, re Dawns outdoor blog. In regard to the hex, i have been using one for a few years now. in fact i had two, one was passed on to another blogger, Weird Darren. My second hex had one problem, it leaked until I sealed all the seams. However, I have used it in all seasons in the uk, including this year's Scottish winter. There is a serious trip coming up next week. (Will be written up on my blog pages) Normally I just use a small floor cloth in the area I sleep in. This allows me to use the stove in the tent, very handy. As for midge nets, try a small one over the area you sleep in. Happy bushwacking. Dawn.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger BrianA said...

Sweet. I can't wait to hear more in use reports.

I have a Tentipi Varrie on the way, with floor. The floor unzips to allow fires and stove use too.

Congrats!

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,you can read up on some of the stuff I have done using the hex on my outdoors blog. if you cannot find me look up Dawn's outdoor blog on Akto man. Duncan has me on his wee list Dawn.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Just found your blog. I just received my Hex 3 today and was poking around the web to find how to pitch it. I got the nest with mine for summer camping, but intend to use it as much as possible without it so I can cook in it with my alcohol stove.

Joe in Iowa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home