American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Bravo-1 Mod.

Am I the only one to do this? I buy a knife because I either like the original design or because I can see some potential for the design with some slight adjustments.

Sometimes my modifications work out...and sometimes they don't.

Here you see pictured my matching pair of Bark River Bravo-1s. I ordered one and, upon receipt, asked for another just like it so I could make a slight change to the point and then make a head to head comparison. The top knife has had the point dropped approximately 2mm to where, aesthetically, I think it should be. Will the dropped point improve the performance of the knife? It's too early to tell.

I can tell you that the dropped point makes the knife look exactly as I'd hoped.

Over time I will test these knives in various ways and I'll be able to compare them to determine not whether my dropped point is better but whether it decreases the performance of the knife while increasing aesthetic appeal. I suspect it'll still do everything asked of it AND it now looks just like I want it to.

Not all mods have gone as well...we'll talk more about that tomorrow.

Thanks for reading,


B

2 Comments:

At 6:43 AM, Blogger Panday said...

Bushman,

No, you're not the only one who's ever done that. I've done that plenty of times, myself. I've even bought knives because I wanted to hold them and get a feel for the designs so I could copy them.

Just curious- have you ever tried a forward slanted blade like a kukri or a ginunting?

I think that forward-slant or forward-curved design is the best around for cutting brush and chopping.

They're really not difficult to use for finer work like skinning, too.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Stephen,

I have used a khukri a few times. I appreciate their obvious advantage using the draw cut but there is also something about the "crooked" blade and the changed angles that makes me a little skittish when it comes time for some serious work.

Most of that is due to lack of experience--something I hope to remedy in the future.

B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home