American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Fox River Testing

I got into the woods for a while today. While I was out I managed to test a custom Fox River I had made by Jimmy and Steve at Bark River Knife & Tool several months ago. This knife has been used a bunch already both in the kitchen and in the woods. Today, however, was the toughest testing it has seen to date.

It was a light day for packing and my gear consisted of my basha, some cordage, a Nalgene bottle, a 10cm Zebra Billy, my Hoodoo Hone, a spork, and my Fox River. I also had the usual SwissTool on my belt and firesteel/whistle/compass/LED light in my pocket on a keychain. You can see most of the items listed in the picture.

First, I carved a digging stick with the Fox River. I dug a pit approximately 18 inches long by six inches wide by six inches deep and built my fire just above the pit. When I had some nice coals, I scraped everything into the pit and began to feed hardwood in to keep the fire going. I filled the billy with water and set it on the bed of coals. Then I used the Fox River to carve a pot lifter/fire poker.

While the coals were heating up the water I used the Fox River to cut up some weeds to clear the campsite. I got the basha pitched lean-to fashion and sat on the ground in between trips to find more wood to burn.

After digging those weeds out of the dirt I found the edge on the Fox River had been pretty well beat up and needed some attention. I used the hone (sandpaper over mouse pad) to resharpen and the knife performed flawlessly the rest of the day.

I brought a good selection of gear as I managed to use all of it on this trip.

Thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home