American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Light My Fire Grilliput and Firebowl

The boys at JRE Industries are now authorized distributors of Light My Fire and Industrial Revolution products. This means that their dealers can now get you Army and Scout model firesteels, Mess Kits, ice cream making balls, and my new favorite pieces of gear, the Grilliput and Firebowl.

The kids and I spent the day outside again today enjoying the weather and trying out some more new gear. This morning was spent at REI's grand opening of their new store in Northbrook, Illinois. After spending some time in that zoo we headed for home and a more relaxed environment.

I had some fancy sausages in the refrigerator and the kids wanted some ramen noodles so I got out my silverware sorter from IKEA and loaded it with a single sheet of newspaper and topped it off with charcoal. I lit the paper and then set about assembling the Grilliput.

It still takes me a few tries to get everything in the right place but, once assembled, the unit is nice and sturdy and can easily support my 10cm billy can filled with water and the filled charcoal starter. The firebowl opens and closes much like a steamer insert or, as Laura sees it, like a flower in the Spring.

Once the coals have a nice even layer of ash on them I dump them into the firebowl. I have found that having a two-zone fire (coals stacked high on one side and almost none on the other) works best to get water boiling. It gives me a warm area on the grill on one side and a very high heat on the other. This means I can move things around to get the best type of heat.

While we were at it, I threw on a chunk of hickory just to give us some nice hardwood smoke. Laura was tasked with keeping down the flames when the hickory dried out.

We cooked our sausages and ramen, set up a small table and folding chairs, I got some drinks from the house, and we had a nice little driveway picnic while our friends and neighbors walked, jogged, rode, and drove past.

Yes, we live the good life...

I'm really impressed with both the Grilliput and the Firebowl and plan on including both of them in my daypack for future trips into the woods. I'd encourage you to talk to your dealer and have him/her get in touch with Dan or Spen through their website above to find out just how easily they can add Light My Fire and Industrial Revolution products to their lineup.

Thanks for reading,


B

4 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Blogger Pablo said...

I've just ordered the same firebowl. Looks like I made the right choice. Not sure about the grilliput but you seem to get on with it.
Regards,
Pablo.

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger sam said...

I've got one as well. I've not got much use yet as I've got no garden and it is hard to find somewhere you can have a fire here. It's a nicely made piece of kit though.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger American Bushman said...

Thanks guys.

I've tried the firebowl both with charcoal and with live fire and find the charcoal method works better for me as feeding a fire through the grate limits me a great deal on wood size.

The downside to cooking with coals is the need for yet another piece of gear (I know, *gasp*, more gear) to get the coals alight. The silverware sorter seems just the thing. Plus my 10cm billy nests inside it for transport fairly well.

B

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the grilliput and the firebowl. I've used it a few times so far and I really like this little thing. It actually holds a reasonable amount of food. I got mine at http://www.vat19.com/dvds/grilliput-portable-bbq.cfm When I first saw it, I wasn't sure what it was...but there was a video that sold me on it. Another piece of gear to add to my always growing collection! I use charcoal, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home