American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Friday, March 16, 2007

Take Care of Your Feet

I've always neglected to do much maintenance on my feet until it was too late to walk comfortably. I've suffered from plantar warts, jungle rot, athlete's foot, and many other seemingly minor foot ailments which, on an extended hike, can become extremely troublesome.

After last weekend's dousing, my feet were wet too long and, when dried, the soles of my feet became tough and painful. After some time soaking and grinding down the tough spots with a pumice stone my feet, once again, feel normal. It seems strange that toughened soles would be less preferable to the long-distance hiker but, in my experience, if it's painful just to stand up it's going to be excruciating to walk many, many miles.

I'm curious to hear AktoMan weigh in on the issue of foot care. There must be more that can be done in the field and a guy who's preparing to cross Scotland on foot must have a cure or two up his sleeve.

Take care of your feet, they're what are going to get you from here to there and back again...

Thanks for reading,


B

3 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Blogger sam said...

It depends on your footwear sometimes. I can wear sandals most of the year and if it wasn't for my job it'd probably be 9 months of the year. I never get sore or damp feet - if anything they end up too hot as the skin toughens.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger AktoMan said...

here's what works for me:
http://aktoman.blogspot.com/2007/03/some-meter-on-feet.html

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Pablo said...

In the Army, we used to condition our feet by soaking in vinegar prior to hard competition marching (like the Nijmegan march). After care and in the field, we massaged out feet with tons of talc. Blisters were injected with iodine. Ouch!! Can still feel it now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home