American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Monday, February 12, 2007

Nutrition needs and bush cooking

My 10cm Zebra Billy is getting quite a workout lately. I've taken to eating some of the dried grains and rice that I'd have with me in the woods to refamiliarize myself with their preparation and to work out the details that'll make consuming them for longer periods bearable.

First is Scottish Oatmeal which I eat in the morning. The ratio of oats to water is 1:3 and they'll cook for 10 minutes at a simmer. One 1/4 cup (pre-cooked) serving will provide 140 calories and leave you feeling full for hours. I eat mine with a splash of milk and a drizzle of honey. Delicious, filling, and easily carried for long periods without spoiling.

For lunch, a bit of brown rice. This gets a 1:2 ratio of rice to water. Bring the mixture to a boil and turn the heat down to a simmer for 35-40 minutes. One 1/4 cup (pre-cooked) serving will provide 150 calories. Once it's finished cooking, let it rest for 5 minutes and then fluff it up with your fork/spoon/spork, salt it, and eat. I like to add some sriracha to give my brown rice a little...um..."flair" from time to time. You can tone down the heat with a bit of sugar if it's too much and that'll also give you some extra valuable calories for your outdoor activities.

Both of these I prepare in my 10cm Zebra Billy as I can eat right out of the can and then give it a quick rinse to make it ready for the next meal.

I'm reading a little bit on the Internet about cooking whole grains in a thermos overnight and will be doing a bit of experimentation on that over the next few weeks.

Thanks for reading,


B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home