American Bushman

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Field Trip

Yesterday my daughter's Kindergarten class went on a field trip to the local nature center. I was one of the chaperones for the outing.

Laura impressed the teacher and all the other chaperones when she explained that the weasel changes from brown to white in the winter in order "to better camouflage itself from predators." The looks I got were priceless. She could not only say it but she could explain it. Some of the lessons are sticking.

We saw some fresh coyote tracks along the frozen banks of the river. We identified distinct squirrel and rabbit tracks going to and from a small open water hole. We found a dead Canada Goose in pieces--probably a coyote kill. We discussed how deer, snakes, raccoons, and squirrels make it through the winter.

The kids came back to the nature center for hot chocolate and a review of what they'd heard and seen. I think they all had fun and I had a blast. If I hadn't already been signed up to chaperone the next one of these trips I'd have signed up on the spot yesterday.

Thanks for reading,

B

1 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger sam said...

I wish I could get a chance to try some of this with my students - definitely food for thought!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home